header

Sunday 10 February 2013

Year of the Snake

Kung hei fat choy!
Kung Hei Fat Choy!
                                         
The Chinese New Year begins today  Sunday  10th  February 2013. This year is the year of the Snake, this is the sign of might and intelligence and is seen as a very auspicious sign under which to be born. It has been predicted that the number of babies born in this year to Chinese families will show a mark rise this year. 


The symbol for this year 

If you are to follow Chinese superstitions and taboos it is important to ensure that you do not cry today as crying on the New Year means you'll be crying for the rest of the year. Don't wash your hair or you'll wash away all your luck and prosperity and don't clean your house on New Years day or you'll be cleaning away your good luck for the year. I rather like the last one its a great excuse not to work today and just relax and I am always up for that.

So I'll wish you all a Happy New Year and hope the Year of the Snake brings you luck health and happiness whether you are Chinese or not.

6 comments:

  1. Oh man, wish I had read this earlier. Washed my hair this morning and cleaned part of the house. May as well just give up now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't give up hope Sylvia after all you're not Chinese. I was just using it as an excuse not to do anything............... lazy slob that I am.

      Delete
  2. Oops. I did some hoovering this morning as a friend was coming for lunch. Managed to avoid the rest. Lovely, interesting blog as usual. Happy Chinese New Year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think you're probably okay then any excuse to relax.

      Delete
  3. Phew - you think I'll be OK then? I could really do with some good fortune. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to improve your luck when I see you on Wednesday

      Delete