header

Monday 25 June 2012

Cup Cake Crazy

Yesterday my daughter and I went on a cupcake decorating course which was great fun, messy but fun. As it was all about the cake decoration we had to make our cup cakes the previous day, ready for decorating the following day. I made standard vanilla cup cakes ( I know boring)  and my daughter make some chocolate ones. You will see below I have given the standard recipe for the cup cakes but if you want the chocolate ones you merely have to add 4 tbsp Cocoa Powder and 1 tbsp Natural Yogurt to the basic recipe.

Ingredients 

200 g Plain Flour
2tsp Baking Powder
200g Caster Sugar
100g Unsalted Butter
3 Eggs
150ml Milk
1tsp Vanilla Extract.  
   

Method

Pre heat oven to 180C, 350F or Gas mark 4

Place flour, baking powder, caster sugar and butter into mixing bowl and mix to create a mix like fine bread crumbs 


Mix eggs, milk and vanilla extract together then add gradually to the dry ingredients mix thoroughly to make a smooth batter.


Place mixture into bun cases. Do not over fill cases, its best to fill only about half to two thirds of the way   

Bake in oven for approx 20 - 25 minutes check to make sure cook by pressing top if it springs back they are cooked. 

Vanilla ones above chocolate below

Now we had the cupcakes we only had to decorate them. Here is what we did with the above basic cupcakes 

We made a cookie monster
Pale pink moulded rose
Violet rose hand crafted
White Rose
 I was very pleased with the finished results and the techniques we learned. I think the Rose idea will definitely see action again next Valentines Day, if not before.  

7 comments:

  1. Glad to see the cupcakes have made it on to the blog. Shame it was so warm for the buttercream. I enjoyed the course but wasn't thrilled with the results purely because it was all a bit runny and melty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to practice at home maybe we can have an at home cupcake class later on when the weathers cooler

      Delete
  2. This looks like such fun Dawn and very yummy! Thanks for giving the cupcake recipe too. The roses are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun if a little hot. I am rather partial to the roses myself. Ive also got a heart mould which I cant wait to try out. I might also try making some other flowers.

      Delete
  3. I love love love the cookie monster! I might try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hes very easy to make you'll need a grass piping nozzle for the hair. Once you have the nozzle its plain sailing. Use butter icing but don't get it too soft one tip is to add colour with the butter and mix in. If you get it too soft the hair effect isn't so good

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete