header

Saturday 21 April 2012

Sausage and Onion Plait

Yesterday on special request from my hubby and son I made a a super (if I do say myself) Sausage and Onion Plait. Its easy to make and can be eaten hot or cold. If you like to try it the recipe is as follows.

Ingredients 

1 pack frozen puff pastry
500g sausage meat or skinned sausages
1/2 packet of sage and onion stuffing
1 sweet red pepper
1 large onion
1 leek
1 tsp parsley
2 tsp Italian herbs
milk to glaze
 
Method 

Prepare onion pepper and leek then chop finely or place in blender. I'm an awful cheat I like to use the blender as it makes for a finer chopped set of ingredients, which then mix better with the sausage meat.

  
Place these ingredients into a bowl then add the 1/2 packet of sage and onion stuffing plus two tablespoon of warm water and mix thoroughly. 

Add the parsley and Italian herbs

 
Add the sausage meat or as I did this time used sausages which I skinned before adding to the vegetable ingredients.Make sure you mix these ingredients together well.

      
Now roll out pastry into a rectangular shape. I use prepared pastry as I do not see the point of fussing making it anymore. I, however, do draw the line at pre-rolled that's just one step too far.  


When rolled out place the meat ingredients onto the pastry in the centre 1/3rd as shown below. Make sure the edges of the pastry will be wide enough to fold over the meat portion. 


Then using a sharp knife cut the pastry remaining each side into horizontal strips as shown below.

  
Then starting at one end of the pastry fold pastry strips from side then the other over the meat filling ensuring ends of pastry are pressed down and secured. Continue until all the strips are used. This will create a plait effect 

I always think it looks like an Egyptian mummy 

Place in the fridge for about 10 minutes to rest.

Pre-heat oven to 200o C,  400oF or Gas mark 6

After 10 minutes remove from fridge and brush with milk or egg wash if you prefer and then place in oven for 40 minutes approx until golden brown.

All golden brown and yummy
 
 
Eat hot fresh out of the oven or cold for a buffet it tastes equally nice.My hubby has always loved this as a picnic item.

No comments:

Post a Comment